Sunday, September 22, 2013

Eclipse

Eclipse...there are many definitions but my favorite is 'a temporary or permanent dimming or cutting off of light'. 

Nathan and I went to Dallas for an overnight stay to see Depeche Mode in concert.  I had bought him the tickets several months ago.  Nathan LOVES his music but he especially LOVES Depeche Mode.  So much so that their song 'Just Can't Get Enough' was the song boomed through the church speaker system as soon as we were pronounced husband and wife nearly 14 years ago. 

We had fun on our little mini trip.  It's nice to get away for a night and try and reconnect what gets lost in daily life.  We rode the DART (an adventure for us, we have no tram system in Tulsa) to the Gexa Energy Pavillion from our hotel....the front desk person said we would get off right in front of the Gexa.  WRONG!  More like a mile away...but the night was beautiful and the threat of a downpour remained only a threat.

We spent the evening on a blanket, getting sprinkled on occasionally and listening to Depeche play their newest tunes along with some old ones we love.  I had hoped to hear 'Just Can't get Enough' but seriously doubted that would happen, it's one of their oldest.  Despite the great concert, my attention was divided between  watching Nathan enjoy the night and an absolute fixation on the sky.  I was enjoying the full moon and cool breeze.  I felt the rhythm of the music playing, but more I was feeling the rhythm of life.  All of a sudden, the clouds totally covered my moon.  (Just as I was recalling "I see the moon and the moon sees me..." as read to our children so many times.  Silly, but I was sad that my moon was 'gone' for the moment.  I resonated with how much this was like my life right now....the brightness was there and all of a sudden it was covered by clouds. 

For the next hour, I saw no trace of the moon.  And then it was the second to the last song, and the song was 'Just Can't Get Enough' and in that moment, the clouds parted and I saw my moon shining brightly.  It stayed that way throughout the remainder of the concert.  I felt personally kissed by God.  I felt connected and peaceful and reassured.  Things will be alright.

Again, I believe that you have to be in touch with your darkness to know your light and to love it.  Right now my life is experiencing a temporary dimming of light.  It is not permanent and it is not totally cut off. My life is experiencing an eclipse.  I am reminded of the lyrics to David Crowder's song, Jealous....When all of a sudden, I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory, and I realize just how beautiful you are and how great your affections are for me...oh, how he loves us...
Even when I can't see the light, I can feel it, and oh, how loved I am.

It's ups and down.  It is dark and light.  And...it is life...beautiful, magnificent, glorious life.

No comments:

Post a Comment